Saturday, May 23, 2009

basil for bruschetta

Yesterday was such a busy day!
Amongst other things, I had to harvest my basil already! I've already cut it back for some dinners a few times but it is growing SO FAST that it was getting leggy and trying to go to seed.

I whacked it down to the bottom of the trough..yikes!

I made a pound of my basil butter with what I harvested!
Then I started craving basil so I made some bruschetta topping.

It is so good I thought I'd share it with you. I don't really use a recipe but here are the basics:


2-3 really good ripe tomatoes
2/3 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
1 tsp minced garlic...use the jar stuff, fresh is TOO STRONG
1/2-1 tsp good salt. I use Maldon flake...it is the BEST.
pepper
3-4 tbls olive oil
2-3 tbls balsamic vinegar
*the amount of vinegar and oil you need really depends on how large your tomatoes are!
1 french baguette

Dice tomatoes and basil and put in small bowl (layer the basil leaves on top of each other for easier cutting)
Add garlic, salt, pepper, vinegar and oil...I use more vinegar than oil, you'll need to taste it. The vinegar/oil should 'almost' cover the diced tomatoes.
Mix well.
Cover with plastic wrap and leave on COUNTER. Don't refrigerate tomatoes, it kills their flavor.
Leave on counter about an hour so the flavors will blend.

Cut baguette into thin rounds and toast, with or without olive oil sprinkled on them.
Usually it takes about 6-8 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


BTW, Don't ditch the leftovers, the tomato mixture is WONDERFUL on a salad or with leftover pasta. I do refrigerate leftovers so it won't go bad.

One more thing!
I made this another way too...more like a restaurant would serve:
Use just enough oil and vinegar to blend flavors.
Don't prebake the rounds.
Put topping on each round
Top with shredded parmesan
Bake until lightly browned
Serve

1 comment:

Michelle said...

basil my absolute favorite herb. I can't get enough of it. Have you had a margarita pizza? mmmm...and as weird as it sounds, strawberries are yummy with just a smidge of basil...it's that sweet and savory. Oh and I'm totally stalking your website for announcements of the next swap! I'm sensing a 70s theme ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...