Wednesday, May 27, 2009

M is for mushroom soup!

We love La Madeleine's Cream of Mushroom soup.....all of us, even the KIDS. I can't get to La Maddy's very often so I started making my own soup.

I have the recipe below...but first, check out this gadget Dean got me AGES ago.
It is called the Nicer Dicer and he was SO taken in by the infomercial...SUCKA! Thank goodness he got it "on sale now only through this television offer!"

I do admit though...it works really well on mushrooms so that is why I keep it around...in fact, it is the ONLY thing I use it for.


Here is how you use it....put the clean mushie on top and slap the lid down...the diced mushies fall through into the cup in the bottom.



It makes SHORT work of a lot of mushrooms. Here is 3 packages of mushies done....took maybe 5 minutes...it is that fast...
sorry for the furry photo....and NO, I hadn't had ANY margaritas.....



here is the soup when it is all done.....pretty good....but not like La Madeline's! Anyone have a copycat of THEIR cream of mushroom soup PLEASE send it my way!



Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

3 packages of 8 oz size mushrooms, chopped (I use a mixture. )
1 stick butter
2 minced shallots
1 tbls. flour
1 garlic clove, minced
4-5 cups of stock (beef or chicken)
1/2 tsp. Dried thyme
1 cup half & half (or cream)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup sherry(I use more)
1/2 tsp. cayenne

Melt butter over medium heat, add onions & cook 5 minutes.
Add garlic and mushrooms and cook 15 mintues
Add seasonings and stir 1 minute. Add sherry and stir 2 minutes. Add flour slowly to avoid lumps (I use a teensy sifter)
stirring well.
Add stock and cook for another 5-10 minutes to let flavors blend.
Remove from heat and blend in a blender.**
Taste to correct seasonings if needed. Stir.
Add half & half, by adding in a little at a time so it doesn't curdle.

If reheating, do not boil. Serve with warm bread and salad!

**I use a stick blender so I don’t have to remove from the pot.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Val- I am with you on those TV ads! GROSS! But let me tell you, if I had just used Mucinex at the beginning of all this I really think I could have avoided all the other meds!!! Maddening! Of course, God is the reason I am well, though. There was a reason for all the craziness. Someday I may understand....:) Love ya, Cutie! Lori

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...