Thursday, July 22, 2010

Val's Fresh Strawberry Cake


There's a new sheriff in town...and its called FRESH STRAWBERRY CAKE!

We used to live in Baton Rouge and got a great strawberry cake from a local bakery.    It was heavenly and we got it for every birthday and for any other reason we could think of.
When we moved to Texas, I even ordered it few times but it was so expensive to ship that I eventually quit and started researching recipes online.
They all had jello in them...yuck. Not a fan of jello.  Besides, the icing was the key...so....I started playing around with making my own icing.

Over the years I perfected it, and now, Dean doesn't even buy the 'original' when he is in Baton Rouge because this one is so good....and less expensive.
The ingredients are super simple, it is the process that is important.

I've made it with 2 types of boxed cakes and they are both good....here is a little breakdown:


The one made with yellow cake is dense and very moist...perfect in my humble opinion.
It is not quite as sweet as the white cake below. 

 This is my favorite....sweet but not TOO sweet with a tiny tang from the berries...perfect.



This one is made with white cake mix and is fluffier and lighter...and sweeter...sort of like angel food cake. I think it is too sweet but Dean and both kids say THIS one is their favorite!


Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. 

Val's Fresh Strawberry Cake

First :
1 box cake mix (yellow or white)
Bake cake in 2 round pans according to directions on box, set aside to cool.


For the icing, remember...how you put it together is important, don't skip steps.

2 cups fresh whole strawberries cleaned, hulled and set aside. Do NOT cut them yet.  (I buy 2 pints in case some strawberries are not ripe or are over ripe.)

8 oz softened neufchatel cream cheese 
12 oz. cool whip original
1/2 cup granulated sugar* you may need a bit more if the strawberries are not at their peak sweetness.

1. In bowl, mix the cream cheese until light and fluffy, add sugar and continue beating.
2. Reserve 1-3 of the prettiest berries and set aside. 
3.  Slice 1/2 of the berries and chop 1/2. Basically, you'll have 1 cup of sliced and 1 cup of chopped berries.

4. Take the chopped strawberries and put into the bowl and mix well. The cream cheese mixture will turn slightly pink.  DON'T over process or it will get overly runny. Just mix it until it is uniform in color but still chunky.  A couple minutes is all it takes.

5. Add 1/2 of the cool whip and mix a teeny bit.....like 2 turns of the mixer.
6. Put the sliced berries into the bowl a teeny bit again to incorporate them.
7. Fold remaining cool whip in. *Taste for sweetness and carefully fold in more sugar if needed.


8. Starting with the bottom round, ice the cake being generous with the icing in between the layers.


9.  Add sliced strawberries to the top of this layer if you like.  We do!



9. Top with the 2nd round and frost the rest of the cake, covering the sides and top. 
 Instead of slicing the top to make it even, I flip it over.  The frosting fills in all the ridges and saves you a step.  Plus, I hate to waste cake!

I put lots of icing on top to start with.
and use this to do the actual frosting.....works great.

10. Garnish with the reserved strawberries.

If you have leftovers, make room in the refrigerator for this cake.  

***Once you add the cool whip only FOLD the frosting from that point on or it will over process and break down and you won't be able to ice the cake with it. 

15 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

Mmmmmmmm! Can you ship one to me?;) Lori

LittleRed said...

That frosting sounds perfect....creamy and light and I think I'm going to have to try it:) Thanks for sharing!

Ruhammie said...

DROOOOOLLL!!! I love cake and cupcake recipes but not big on frostings. This one sounds DELISH...I just may have to try it.

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Sounds wonderful. I could use a piece about now!

jillytacy said...

Looks delicious! Both my husband and daughter love strawberries so I'll keep this in mind to try sometime soon.

Crazy Amy said...

I am so going to try to your recipe! I've made the Strawberry Shortcake cake recipe from Pioneer Woman but it takes some time...Time is not always available and yours sound just perfect!

Lindsay-ann said...

Your cakes look so delicious. I WANT SOME NOW! We have a farm shop nearby and they make the most gorgeous cakes. As a treat sometimes we will go buy one.
Hope you are having a lovely Saturday.
Lindsay
x

annemarie said...

Sounds yummy - must give this a try as strawberries are my favorite.

Unknown said...

oh yum....I would make both cakes and eat them both,...forget the neighbors!hahhahhaha

Annesphamily said...

These look lovely and tasty! I need some strawberry cake now! LOL! Anne

Suzy D. said...

This was SO SO GOOD!!! I haven't had the Ambrosia strawberry cake in years, but I'm pretty sure this cake is spot-on. I made it for my Mother-in-law's birthday today and everybody loved it!! Thank you!!!

Lindsay Brunson said...

Thank you for sharing! This was a hit at my dinner party! Definitely comparable to ambrosia and costs a lot less!

Anonymous said...

You have made my day ♡ . I was about to order a small one. I can't wait to make it for half the price.

Unknown said...

My husband is from BR and we always have to go to that bakery for a piece (or a whole cake) when we are in town. I am excited to try your recipe for his birthday. It is his favorite cake and I've looked into having it shipped (to Texas) but it is expensive and its a small cake.

Unknown said...

My husband is from BR and we go to Ambrosia for a piece or a whole cake everytime we are in town. The Stawberry cake is his all time favorite. I've looked into having it shipped (to Texas) but its so expensive. I am going to try your recipe for his birthdday. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...