Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Piggy tail book thong

Each Wednesday after school, I co-sponsor a crochet club for students who want to learn the craft.

Recently we made these little "piggy tail" book thongs and they LOVED them so much I thought I'd share the pattern.
They are super easy and great for new crocheters to make because they offer instant gratification.


This is what it looks like (sorry about the red table cloth, I was too lazy to change it out)






You will need:
small amount of yarn
size G crochet hook


Now to get started:

First, make a slip knot and chain 21.





Turn and single crochet into the 2nd chain from the hook and into each remaining chain stitch.

See how it is beginning to curl on its own. This is your 1st piggy tail





At the end of the piggy tail, just chain another 45 stitches.

This is the part that will go between the pages of your book.





Now to make the 2nd piggy tail.

At the end of the 45 stitches, turn and single crochet into the 2nd chain from the hook and into the next 19 chain stitches.


Now your book thong looks like this:




Fasten off. Weave in the ends if you like. The students just clipped the ends close to the knot.

The piggy tail should curl on its own but if you used a soft yarn, you may have to twist it to help it along.





And this is how it looks when used:





It is easy to adjust this to make book thongs of any length.

5 comments:

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Val
Love this cute idea. Thanks for a great tutorial ;)
Lindsay
x

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I love making quick and fun things like these. I make similar ones that are all curly so they look like snakes for my son. He loves them and has them twisted around his door handle to his room. I forget that they are there and when I grab the handle to go in his room it startles me every time lol.

mysteryhistorymom said...

What a cute idea! I have that same little book, Val! We actually met Joan Walsh Anglund when I was about 4 years old and she drew a picture of me in one of the books as a way of signing it. It is such a treasure to me. I am sure she signed all her books like that, but she really took the time to make it look like me.:) Lori

jillytacy said...

Okay I might have to attempt this. I wish you lived closer so I could have a lesson in person!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing this! I'm teaching my 9yr old girl to crochet and this will be perfect because she also loves to read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...