Friday, August 10, 2012

Time for Tea

Dean made scones on Saturday morning so I felt compelled to have some hot tea to go along with them. I love Celestial Seasonings Red Hibiscus tea. It has a subtle peachy flavor that is so good. (In fact, when I make iced tea, I use 1 of the red hibiscus tea bags in place of 1 of the regular ones....yummy.)

Dean got the recipe for the scones out of a local paper so I thought I'd share it with you. They were REALLY good...so good that everyone had seconds..and thirds. The lemon is very subtle, not overwhelming at all.



Lemon Scones

2 and 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbls baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbls fresh lemon zest
1 stick unsalted butter (cold)
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk

1 egg white
additional sugar in a shallow dish

Mix flour, salt and baking powder in a dish. Add lemon zest and toss to mix. Cut butter (using a pastry blender or fork) into the flour mixture until it forms fine granules. Add sugar and mix. Add milk and stir until a soft dough forms.
Place on a floured surface a knead 10-12 times and then roll out to a 1" thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter or into triangles.

Brush scones with the egg white and then dip tops into the extra sugar. Place scones on a cookie sheet covered with parchment and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a golden brown on top.


"Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea." ~Author Unknown

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Sounds yummy !!!!
Love your owl mug ...... I'm sure the tea tastes even better, just because of it :-)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yummy! I do like scones because they don't have a lot of sugar in them. I make mine with cranberries -- next time I am gonna try with some lemon or maybe even orange juice. :) Hope you are having a lovely weekend. Tammy

Crazy Amy said...

i've got a new love of scones! thanks for the recipe, will give it a try. Happy summer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...