Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Turtle Topiary

I saw this cutie on pinterest and pinned it, along with about a zillion other people.    I truly love turtles and tortoises and thought it would look cute in the garden. 
When I went to purchase one, I found them too pricey for me. I also have a craft gene that screams  "I CAN DO THAT!"  (even if I can't....)  
Anyway, they start at 60 bucks and shipping was about 20 bucks....sorry, I am not paying 80 bucks for some plants and a frame in the shape of a turtle.

The kids named him Yertle but Yertle is a gopher turtle I brought home that still lives in my dad's yard, along with 4 others.
So, here is Yertle 2.... "King of the Herb Garden" in all his glory....

He is freshly made, still wet and a little drippy.  It will be fun to see how his little shell grows over the course of the summer.



and here is the top view (per Dean, he said I wasn't showing off his "shell" properly!)  
In this photo you can see a couple of leaves that I placed randomly.    He isn't nearly as ornate as the original but I'm okay with that.




So, the proof is in the pricing, right?  Well, I found the frame online and bought the rest locally.  I spent a total of 29.00, including tax.  I used the leftover plants and moss in this pretty shell planter my mom gave me a few years ago.



Update: I added one more set of plants for 4 bucks.....totally worth it

 next post is the tutorial so stay tuned.....

5 comments:

Kerry said...

Love. Love, Love him !!! He is too precious :-)

gilly said...

He's absolutely lovely - well done you!
Xx

gin said...

he's cute. a great diy idea.

Little Messy Missy said...

Very sweet!
xoxoxox

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Yertle 2 is adorable. I love turtles. I saw a crocheted turtle shell cozy the other day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...