Friday, May 10, 2013

little gardens....

It was no secret that I was not thrilled with our yard when we moved here.  Dean and I always had large yards with large veggie gardens and this yard just didn't give us the space we were used to. 

I fought against it at first,  but gradually I gave in and got creative and over the years, we've made it work.  
Now we only grow what we have room for and REALLY use all the time.  Fresh herbs, tomatoes, lettuces....things like that...although I would love to grow some onions and potatoes.......hmmmmmm.

For those who don't believe you can grow things successfully in containers.....my herb garden tub is exploding!  It is growing so fast that I can't harvest it quick enough.  

FYI: It is filled half way up with empty water bottles and I think that is why it does so well.  Nothing ever gets root bound.



The basil, which always does well...and I use it constantly!  I started with 6 plants the first year and went to 4 plants a couple years ago.  This year I only planted 2 and I still have too much to use without harvesting as I go along.   I'm not complaining though, my basil butter and cubes are always good to have in the freezer.  



I have the entire length of the small veggie garden planted with nasturtiums...in fact you can't see the lettuce or arugula behind it because they have grown so tall!  Our tomatoes are happy though, they are a natural deterrent. 



Nasturtiums are also edible and have a peppery flavor...and their blooms are gorgeous!



We've had several salads with the lettuce and arugula already....if you've not had arugula, you are missing out.  It is peppery and nutty at the same time.  Just delicious and super easy to grow.



The mint is spreading out.  This year, I need to make Dean some mint jelly.....I don't actually care for it in food (I know, weird...) but I do harvest it for the bath tub.    If you've never tried mint in the tub after a long day, you really should!  It smells heavenly.



This year's addition......blueberry bushes!  We love them and since it doesn't look like we'll be leaving anytime soon, we planted some along our fence line.  



So, how does your garden grow?

3 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

we are from the upper midwest-farmbelt country, so I have always been used to wonderful garden soil. so retiring here to missouri has been a difficult learning process-the soil is unusable as is, the summers are too hot that gardens need some shade, and so many critters-little ones to big ones to bugs-lol
so I have learned to grow a few things in tubs, I love herbs too, and last year I started working up a small space close to the house, shady, and soon to be fenced-so I am quite excited for good veggies this year-we'll see lol

A Little Creation said...

Your garden looks yummy. I planted mint once and never again it took me a month to get rid of it because it's so invasive.
Chris =]

jillytacy said...

Happy Mother's Day! I was thinking of you and wanted to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...