Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Basil harvest....and basil cheese bread.

Summer is in full swing here and I've been really busy with the family and yard.  

Last week, I made 4 pounds of my basil butter and 4 trays of my basil/olive oil ice cubes.   The process only takes a few moments, but harvesting the leaves seems to take forever.  I only planted 3 plants this year but 4 had self sown in the garden over the summer so now I have 7 plants to harvest from!  I have a few friends who enjoy this stuff and they were more than pleased to be gifted some of each.

Kaela helped me with the butter and when we got to the end, there was a little bit left.  Not enough to freeze but too much to throw away.  So, what to do?

ummm...slather the butter onto some rolls ...

then top with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese ...

then broil...and enjoy!

Oh my goodness, it is so good.
If you want to make your own, let your basil butter come up to room temp to use.  It only takes a minute since the butter is frozen into sheets.


Look how sweet this wreath is!
I put a simple wreath on the gate a few months back and the Morning Glory has slowly taken it over.  I love how it still maintains a wreath shape all by itself.  Maybe I'll help it along this week by clipping a few leaves here and there......


back into the garden I go.....


4 comments:

Quiltingranny said...

Yummy! Now tell me your secret to get it to grow! Mine comes up hair thin, keels over and dies. Do you plant from seed or plant?

A Little Creation said...

Yum!! If you need to get rid of some of the basil butter I've got room in my freezer.
Chris =]

Jody said...

You are making my mouth water!!!!

kathyinozarks said...

oh yummy I have an abundance of basil too this year-I froze some pesto earlier

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...