Friday, June 20, 2014

Easiest Brisket ever!

Okay, so with me being sick and all, I didn't feel much like cooking.  But this time of year, I go through our freezer and use all the meat up.  It's Hurricane Season y'all!  I discovered a 9 pound brisket in there and decided it had to go.    

The slow cooker is a sick girl's helper. Seriously.  I got tons of credit and did very little work. Love it.

Here is how you do it.  

Take a BIG ziploc baggie and put this in it:

2 cans beef broth
4 oz. soy sauce (yes, that is a lot.)
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
2 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider or white)
3-4 chopped garlic cloves (I use the stuff in a jar and put a big glob of it in there.)

Into this, carefully set the brisket that you have trimmed most of the fat off.  (You won't need it since it is going into a slow cooker.)  You also don't need to hack the meat up to absorb the marinade but Dean does it anyway....

Now seal it all up and put it in a dish and refrigerate it over night.  I flip it over at bedtime.

In the morning, put the brisket along with the marinade into the slow cooker.  Set it on low and forget it.  All day.  As in 8 hours.

My crock-pot is oval but I've done this in an old round one too....you just have to cut it in half and switch the pieces mid way through the day.

When it is done cooking, use tongs and pull the meat out, it will shred by itself.  At this point you decide to make gravy or make sandwiches....

This go round, we made sandwiches!  We love brisket on croissants...lucky me found croissant sandwich bread...how cool is that.



Now don't toss out the juices.  If you buy a large brisket like I do, you will have leftovers.  Separate the meat from the juice and refrigerate separately.  In the morning, pull out the juices...see that layer of fat?



Yep, grab a thin spatula and carefully slip it off the top.   It will come right off....so you can throw it away.



Then you can make gravy with the rest and you can have mashed potatoes to go with that leftover brisket.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...