Monday, July 27, 2015

Recipe Box: Lentil Soup

It has been awhile since I've posted a recipe of my mom's!

Last week when Tammy was here, I made some lentil soup.   It was unbelievably good so I thought I'd share the recipe.  I took my mom's recipe and tweaked it for my family.  

This photo shows it over rice.  



Mumu's and mine...Lentil Soup

1 cup green or brown lentils.  (Red ones don't take as long to cook and will explode!  If you use them, adjust the cooking time and add them at the end.)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 large carrots, chopped (set aside)
1 large onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1-2 small potatoes, diced (set aside)
4 ounces red wine
2 large or 4 small bay leaves
1 large can diced tomatoes in juice
1 pound turkey sausage
8+ cups stock, broth or water.
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
4 chicken bouillon cubes

Slice one pound of smoked turkey sausage and sear on both sides.  Put in a bowl and Set aside.
(Deglaze the pan with a little water and use in the stock)
Saute the seasonings, bay leaves, onion, garlic and celery for a couple minutes.  
Add the lentils, sausage, red wine and the bouillon cubes.  Cover with stock, put on the lid.
Bring to a boil and then immediately turn down the heat and simmer on medium low for about 30 minutes.
Add the carrots and potatoes.  Return to heat for another 30 minutes or until they are soft.

*You can adjust the seasonings before serving.  I usually add more salt. TASTE it first as bouillon cubes are salty.

Lentils tend to continue absorbing liquid when put in the fridge so we put our leftovers over rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...